Belize Travel Insurance
Effective Feb. 15, 2022, all visitors are required to apply for Belize Travel Health Insurance – a mandatory insurance that helps protect travelers against incurred medical and non-medical expenses, if they test positive for COVID-19 during their stay in Belize.
The Belize Travel Insurance provides coverage for up to $50,000 USD in medical expenses related to treatment of COVID-19 for a period of 21 days including lodging expenses due to quarantine up to $2,000 USD (max $300/day USD). Travelers will also be covered for emergency assistance services such as air evacuation and emergency expenses related to pre-existing conditions. Furthermore, it covers trip cancellations and expenses incurred by COVID-19 positive travelers for extended stays.
Some important entry highlights are listed below:
- The Belize Travel Insurance is available for purchase online at www.belizetravelinsurance.com.
- Tropic Air will not check to see if a traveler has a purchased insurance policy at check-in. Verification of travelers will take place at the Phillip Goldson International Airport in Belize by the Immigration Department of Belize.
- It is recommended that travelers purchase the Belize Travel Health Insurance prior to their travel to Belize. However, purchases can be made upon arrival at the Philip Goldson International Airport or at Belize’s land borders.
- Exempted from purchasing the insurance are QRPs, Belizeans & permanent residents, foreign homeowners, long-stay non-nationals, military personnel, airline crew and persons that intend to stay in Belize for less than 24 hours, are exempted.
- Please visit www.travelbelize.org/health-safety/, for more information on the Belize Safe Travel Requirements.
Do I need a Travel Health Insurance when travelling to Belize?
Effective February 15th, 2022, all Foreign Tourists entering Belize will be required to purchase travel health insurance from a local insurance company.
*Does not include QRPs, Belizeans & permanent residents, diplomats, long-stay non-nationals, military personnel, airline crew and persons in Belize for less than 24 hours.
Do I need to purchase the Belize Travel Insurance even if I already have a personal travel insurance?
Yes, the Belize Travel Insurance is mandatory when entering Belize as a tourist.
Will children need to purchase?
This is a mandatory scheme for all tourist visitors entering Belize & infants and children will be required to purchase as well.
Will Belizeans (living abroad) be required to purchase?
Belizeans living abroad will not be required to purchase this policy, however they will not be excluded from purchasing if they choose to do so.
Will Belizeans (living abroad) and travelling with a foreign passport be required to purchase the Belize Travel Insurance?
Yes, Belizeans travelling with a foreign passport will be required to purchase the Belize Travel Insurance policy.
Can I purchase the Belize Travel Insurance prior to my trip?
Yes, the Belize Travel Insurance will be available for purchase online at www.belizetravelinsurance.com.
It can also be purchased upon arrival at the Philip Goldson International Airport, Santa Elena Border (Northern Border) or the Belize Western Border.
What does the Belize Travel Insurance cover?
- The Belize Travel Insurance policy covers visitors for medical emergencies up to the Maximum policy limit of US $50,000.00 for the low cost of US $18 for a period of 21days.
- It will also cover the cost of emergency treatment, diagnostic services, outpatient care, medical equipment, hospital stay, in-hospital miscellaneous charges, emergency room, emergency surgery, emergency transportation by local ambulance, prescription drugs all at 100% of eligible expenses, up to the policy limit.
- The lodging expenses due to Sanitary Isolation because of the Pandemic (Covid 19) up to US$2,000.00 (Max US $300.00 per day).
- This policy will also cover Reimbursement of Hotel Expenses due to inability to travel. It covers some pre-paid lodging expenses if insured is unable to travel to Belize due to: Sickness, injury, or death of the insured or a family member once legitimate proof is provided.
* To be eligible for this benefit, the insured must have purchased this policy before the date of trip/arrival to Belize. Coverage will only reimburse hotel fees that are not refunded by the hotel. It does not cover fees paid to private rental properties (for example Airbnb).
The maximum amount reimbursable under this benefit is US $3,000 per person.
- This policy will also provide cover for Emergency Assistance Services which include, Emergency air evacuation and transportation of a close relative up to a combined maximum of US $20,000.00, and repatriation of mortal remains up to US$5,000.00 and also covers for Emergency expenses related to pre-existing conditions up to a combined maximum limit of US$25,000.00
Will I be able to purchase an insurance claim in advance if I am planning to stay longer than 21 days?
Yes, an extended coverage can be purchased in advance if your trip is longer than 21 days.
How do I file an insurance claim?
Calling the Emergency Contact Center to file a claim. They will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and will be able to guide you through the process.
When does the policy become effective?
The policy coverage will commence the day the person is legally in Belize.
Is there a deductible on this policy?
No, there is no deductible.
Does this policy cover me outside of Belize?
No, this policy does not provide coverage outside of Belize.
How will verification of coverage be done?
Verification will be carried out by the Belize Immigration Department upon arrival into Belize.
Who is exempted from being required purchasing a Belize Travel Insurance?
QRPs, Belizeans & permanent residents, foreign homeowners, long-stay non-nationals, military personnel, airline crew and persons in Belize for less than 24 hours are exempted.